Published: January 24, 2023
The Canadian Public Health Association & CAPSA are pleased to announce the launch of a new Organizational Assessment Tool for Substance Use and Stigma!
This tool was designed to help organizations identify policies, along with environmental and cultural factors that contribute to substance use stigma and discrimination. It can assist organizations in developing strategies to reduce stigma; creating environments which foster safety and support; and building supportive and inclusive policies and practices for staff, volunteers and individuals seeking care.
What is included in the tool?
- Background information on preparing and completing an organizational assessment;
- Assessment questions spanning the four conditions associated with safe and supportive organizational environments;
- A rating scale to identify strengths and challenges related to stigma and discrimination;
- An improvement plan template;
- The Substance Use Stigma Scale (SUSS) Self-Reflection Tool
This tool was developed in partnership with people with lived and living experience and is a part of CPHA's "Normalizing Conversations" project, funded by Health Canada's Substance Use and Addictions Program (SUAP).